Why does my bill show different VAT rates?
The government requires businesses to pay Value-Added Tax (VAT) on all your energy consumption. VAT is normally charged for your electricity and/or gas usage at the standard rate.
However, in certain circumstances, businesses can qualify for a reduced VAT rate that equals to the domestic rate. If you meet one of the following circumstances:
- If your business has a low energy consumption level*
- Energy for charity non-business qualifying use
- Energy with at least 60% of the usage being for domestic used
* The low energy consumption equates:
- For electricity, if your monthly consumption falls under 1,000 kWh per month (less than 33 kWh per day).
- For gas, if your monthly consumption falls under 4,397 kWh per month (less than 145 kWh per day).
To qualify for the reduced rate of a VAT, you need to fill in the VAT Certificate of Declaration. Please note that a separate form is required per fuel and property. For submitting your completed declarations, you can choose to type your details directly in the PDF file and send automatically by email or choose to send by post.
Please view or download the VAT form.
For further information, you can call our customer care team on 0800 520 01 01, Monday to Friday, 08:00 – 18:30 and Saturday 09:00 – 13:00 or on email@example.com